Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, November 26, 2006

She is Born

My contraction and pain is getting worse when I am in the labour room. The midwife asks me not to push as the gyne is performing an operation on the another labour room thus unable to deliver my baby now. She asks me to breathe in and out by showing me the correct technique. My contraction pain is reduced by using that technique.

While waiting for the gyne, she performs fetal monitoring on me. It is an external ultrasound monitor whereby a belt is placed on my tummy to monitor the baby’s wellbeing. Usually it is used when the cervix has not fully dilated. By the way, I am not sure how many centimeter (cm) I am dilated as the midwife did not mention to me. As for me, I am too painful to remember all this. She just told me that the baby is ready to be delivered. Maybe all of it happened so sudden that the midwife did not performs enema on me too. Enema is a medication given to empty the colon to prevent defecation (passing of stool) during labour.

Few minutes passed and the gyne is still busy with the other patient. My baby keeps pushing herself out. I tried not to push it but my baby keeps pushing herself out from inside. By now, I am all over sweating from my head to the face and body. I informs the midwife and she said do not push while she busy preparing some utensils for the gyne with other nurse-midwives who came in and out the labour room. She checks me at my vaginal area again. Then, she quickly ran out to the next door.

Less that 30 seconds, she came back in. About 10 seconds later, my gyne came in as well. I am relief that finally my gyne came. Then the midwife informs me that everything is going to be okay now as the gyne is here and I can labour my baby.

"The doctor is here. Don't worry. You may labour now," the midwife assured me.

Upon hearing that, the gyne shouts at her, "Wait! I am not prepared yet!".

Another nurse is helping the gyne to put on the glove. The gyne continued, "How can you asks the patient to labour while I am not ready yet?".

Then, I quickly informs the gyne, "No, doctor. The baby is keeps pushing out,".

The doctor keeps quiet.

After he prepared himself well, he came in front of me at the end of my opening legs and takes a look at me. He grabbed some utensil and performs episiotomy on me. Right after that, he asked me to push. The midwife also asked me to push as hard as I can. I pushed once. Then they asked me to push again. Then I pushed for the second time and third. Suddenly I felt that my baby is delivered! I glaced at the clock hanged on the wall and she is born at 6.30PM sharp! Once my baby was delivered, the feeling is so relief and comfortable just like you put down a very, very heavy bag off your shoulder that you been carry for months!

I takes a look at my baby that is being carried by an Indian midwife while the gyne done his jobs - cutting the umbilical cord. The first impression when I first saw her : She is so white and tiny! She looks white because the blood vessels have not started to flow in her body. She is tiny because she is pre-mature baby. While the gyne cuts off her umbilical cord, I keeps asking is my baby ok and fine. Then, the Chinese midwife who accompany me all the while takes her from the Indian midwife to do some testing and weights her.

She then wrapped her up in a cloth and showed it to me.

"Here is your baby. It is a girl and she is fine,"

What can I say? I felt so tired after the struggle of delivering her and all I can do is nod my head for her acknowledgment. Then, the Indian midwife gave me an injection. I asked the gyne if the placenta is delivered as well. He informs soon.

Out of sudden, I feels another great relief just like when I delivered my baby. It was the placenta. The injection that injected to me earlier is to speed up the placenta delivering. The gyne informs me that the placenta is delivered. Then, he does the stitches on the episiotomy that he performs just now. When everything is done, the gyne went away from the labour room.

The Chinese midwife informs me that everything is fine now and she praised me. She said that I pushed well during my first time delivery and during my second delivery, it would be easier for me to give birth. She also reassured me that my baby although is tiny, just let it me and raise her as normal. Eventually, she will pick-up her own pace of growing up. All I can do is nod my head as I am too tired.

She helped me to push in my piles that being pushed out when my baby was pushing herself out that time. Then, she helped me to change. I glanced the clock again and the whole process just took about 15 minutes to 20 minutes! I cannot imagine that it was that short - from the time I enter the labour room till the gyne done the sticthes. All the time taken is about 15 minutes to 20 minutes!

No comments: